One of the downsides (upsides?) to being Mormon is that your 18th birthday isn't that important. It's not like you've waited your entire life to go out and buy cigarettes or lotto tickets. For me, the best part about "coming of age" was being able to do my civic duty and vote. Other than that, 18 means the same thing as any other other random number.
Until now.
The story begins with me running down to the corner college grocery store to buy sour cream for a fancy recipe I'm planning on trying tomorrow. I found it (phew) and was waiting in line when I spotted the small cardboard display for lighters next to the cash register. Scrawled on the sign in black Sharpie were the words, "Must be 18 to purchase."
Bells went off in my head. "Hey, I can buy those now... and I actually can use them!" An angry conversation ensued in my head as I debated whether wasting the money was worth it. I ended up walking away in the end... I don't have that kind of money to waste... or at least not yet.
Maybe when I'm rich and famous I'll buy booze just because I can, then throw it away.
DIY animal bookends
9 years ago
You know, it's right about the time that you buy that booze "just because you can" that you walk out the grocery store door as your bishop is walking in. No kidding, i've heard stories like that. Good luck getting out of that one ;)
ReplyDeleteAnd lucky you.. 19 actually means something. for girls, it's (once again) just another year. :P
And i just realized that we just like tripled the amount of communication between us. You realize that you just gave us the equivalent of ANOTHER facebook wall? mwahahaha.. you won't be able to get rid of me.
You could buy wine and cook with it--it's great for cheese fondue--or a stronger alcohol and make one of those awesome flaming desserts! I've always wanted to set a dessert on fire, but all I've managed is my hair.
ReplyDeleteLOL Dana I pretty much was giggling about your post for several minutes! And I think it would be totally cool to make a flambe! Maybe I'll try that sometime... hmmmm :)
ReplyDeleteCatherine: I can't imagine that setting your hair on fire either smells or tastes good. I recommened sticking to food next time ;) (but there's a reason i've never tried.. it would likely have the same result)
ReplyDeleteAnd David: I wonder what the Elms policy on fire is. Hmmmm.. flambe sounds good. and i'm glad i made you laugh.. that's my goal with most of my postings.